In order to support the handmade community, and promote the importance of buying handmade goods, we asked artists, designers and shop keepers to provide us with 101 reasons why one should buy handmade. Here are their replies: Please help us spread the word, and link back to this page (feel free to grab a banner from the right hand sidebar, thank you)!
1. help contribute to establishing a new economic model
2. w/ the exception of postage cost - contribute to decrease in fossil fuel erosion
(purchasing mass produced products generally come overseas - barging it all over, production costs etc, sweatshops, fair labour et al.)
3. this new wave of craftspeople are using recycled materials. this is CRUCIAL. there is too much stuff in the world already.
4. purchase from artisans/craftspeople who ENJOY creating their wares. the object holds that positive energy and it spreads.
5. support the artisan directly. the artisan needs more support for their vocation - more than most.
6. support local community. thus building.
7. buying from craftspeople is a conscious decision. people need to be more conscious of spending of where their hard-earned money is going, changing hands etc. this contributes to the bigger picture.